I am not one who enjoys flying, all of my irrational fears are always at the front of my mind. When in reality flying is one of the most safest forms of transport. In fact your are more likely to be in a car crash than your airplane going down.
In the last year I have flown to Singapore and back and to Australia and back on my own, my friends know that I am quite an anxious flyer but I overcame the fear on my way back from Australia because I realised that I am safe on an airplane and sat back and tried to relax in my uncomfortable small chair for 7 and then 13 hours hah.
Flying seems super scary but you cant avoid it and miss out on all the amazing countries in the world, heres a few tips to help you enjoy the flight and feel more prepared:
- Plan what you take on the plane with you, I would recommend a travel pillow for sure and comfortable clothes. Moisturisers come in handy for face and hands because I found my skin got pretty dry and felt kinda gross.
- For long haul flights I like to pack toiletries such as the above plus toothpaste, toothbrush, face wipes, lip balm and any medication.
- Don't forget a good book or maybe some magazines, I usually read these during take off.
- Also plan ahead, check the films and shows that are available on your flight, I got pretty excited that Arrival and Fantastic Beasts was on my flight to Australia. They tend to be good with movies and especially the latest releases.
- One thing I do at the airport once I've checked in is find a bar and have a big glass of wine and read or watch Netflix on my phone, it really helps haha.
- I also have a few drinks on the plane but its also important to drink water and other soft drinks to keep hydrated, usually on long haul you can call for the air hostess as much as you like and get unlimited drinks haha but obviously not take the mick..... too much.
- If you need anything ask someone, the staff I've dealt with have always been so friendly and helpful which also helps with reassuring me that i am ok on this flight!
- WALK AROUND, do not forget to walk up and down the plane or just move your feet in general otherwise you can end up with cankles which nobody wants.
Most importantly you are confident and can get on this flight because you are a strong independent person haha. Thats what i kept reciting to myself and it did work!!
If you made it this far in the post I hope this can help you feel a bit more confident when flying. I know how scary it can be, but trust me its worth it to face your fear and actually enjoy relaxing with unlimited wine, drinks and some great movies haha and of course the amazing holiday on the other end.
Thanks for reading, catch me on Instagram: ASHLGHFLWRS, Twitter: Ashlghflwrs1